Monday, September 8, 2014

My first observation day 9/8/2014

For my first observation I went to Snow Springs Elementary in Lehi. It is the school my kids go to and I had a great chance to sit in with Ms. Sederholm in the 4th grade. I was there for 3 hours of the morning schedule. Which included: Journals, Pledge, Schedule review and Math.

This is the journal prompt I want to address today:

How does knowledge of the way people learn relate to the experience of being a teacher?  

During the math activity, Ms. Sederholm interacted with the class in a couple of different ways. She had some cards taped around the room, with some math questions. The kids were asked to take their math notebooks and go find the questions and answer them in their notebooks. This activity was geared toward mostly your visual learners , but I do think a little towards kinesthetic learners as well. The visual learners could see the problems and then solve them. I think the opportunity to get up and move may have helped the kinesthetic learners. 

When Ms. Sederholm called the class back together they reviewed the answers together using the ELMO, which would bring in the auditory learners and more visual.  They continued to work on an additional math page together on the ELMO. She used a lot of "We Do" and then turned it over to "You Do", and then reviewed it together. I think this is good for the visual and auditory learners. 

I think finding ways for the kinesthetic learners will be the most challenging learning type to apply in the classroom.

Another additional thing I enjoyed seeing that relates to developmental differences of students in the class, was the following: 

One 5th grader is a wiggly thing, he sits on the back row and is up and down, up and down. For this little guy to sit still in his chair is too much, his behavior is not an intentional, attention getting activity. It is part of his learning abilities. I talked with the teacher a little about her approach and I appreciated her strategy. She sits him on the back row where he can have a little bit of extra room to move about, but without anyone around him he isn't disruptive to the other children in the classroom. She also placed him next to a very easy going, fun and responsible student - who could be a good example and friend to him. I thought this was well done.






No comments:

Post a Comment